EXECUTIVE DIRECTOR POSITION AVAILABLE AT JASCO
The Japan-America Society of Central Ohio seeks an Executive Director to serve JASCO’s current membership and recruit new members. The successful candidate should possess an entrepreneurial spirit, a general understanding of the nonprofit sector, and a strong interest in the Japanese culture. To be successful, the candidate should be a self-starter, confident in marketing and sales abilities, excellent at communicating with sensitivity to the people of diverse cultural backgrounds, and able to manage the multiple needs of the organization. The position offers opportunities to be a leader in the U.S.-Japan grassroots relationships in Central Ohio by working with successful business and government leaders and working with Japanese, Japanese-Americans, and others with a strong interest in growing cultural understandings. JASCO provides the new Executive Director with a strong foundation and infrastructure to build upon. Fluency in Japanese is a plus.
JASCO is one of nearly 40 Japan-America Societies throughout the United States and is a member of the National Association of Japan-America Societies. Accordingly, the successful candidate should lead JASCO in fulfilling its mission as one of those societies, that is, to enrich lives by bringing the Japanese and American communities together, promoting goodwill through the sharing of knowledge about Japan, and providing a forum for informed discussion regarding the Japan-U.S. relationship.
HOW TO APPLY:
If you are interested in applying for the position of JASCO Executive Director, please submit the following: jascoExecDirectorSearch@jas-co.org
• A letter summarizing how your abilities match those skills identified below; • A résumé or professional vitae outlining your educational background, work
experiences, nature of your responsibilities and outcomes; and
• At least three references with names, addresses, current telephone numbers, and
email addresses of the following: (a) individuals with whom you have worked; (b) individuals who may have reported to you; and (c) other colleagues or community leaders who would provide insights into your candidacy.
Screening is in process. Applications are being accepted until filled.
• Retain existing JASCO members and increase membership
• Effectively engage JASCO’s current and new members, providing value for their membership contributions
• Market the value and benefits that JASCO provides its members and to the Central Ohio community.
• Engage in fund-raising agenda and activities in line with JASCO’s mission
• Manage various marketing and membership projects
• Engage, lead, inspire and assess the performance of staff members, volunteers, and interns
• Manage and budget finances in coordination with JASCO’s Treasurer
• Seek grants and other funding sources to enhance JASCO activities
• Productively and effectively work with JASCO’s Board and members of various
• Represent JASCO professionally with various community organizations, governmental and educational entities, corporations, as well as National Association of Japan-America Societies and its affiliates
• Be an effective advocate of JASCO’s mission
SKILLS, KNOWLEDGE AND ABILITIES:
• Strong interest in Japan and U.S.-Japan relationships
• Strong interpersonal/communication skills, especially across US-Japan cultures
• Sales, marketing, fund-raising, and promotional skills
• Project management abilities
• Basic accounting, budgeting, and financial management
• Effective leadership and supervisory skills
• Usable knowledge of communication tools, including, website, social media, print media, and e-newsletters
• Personable and out-going in public situations
• Ability to network authentically to build long-lasting relationships and communities
• Willingness to learn and adapt
• Fluency in Japanese language is a plus
• College degree from an accredited U.S. or Japanese college or university
JASCO is located in the Dublin Entrepreneurial Center at 565 Metro Place South, Dublin, Ohio, and is an affiliate of the Dublin International Business Assistance Center.
Salary and benefits totaling $50,000 to $58,000, commensurate with experience, plus incentive compensation.